Patents and Trade Marks – Records/Formalities
Based in: Abel & Imray’s Bath office
Salary: According to qualification and experience
Opportunity for Full or Part-Time
We’re looking for someone to become part of a close-knit administrative team that provides vital legal support services within our organisation. You’ll be joining a patent and trade mark attorney firm that works to protect some of the world’s leading brands and newest innovations.
Having excellent administration skills goes without saying, but you’ll also need to be the kind of person who enjoys a challenge and likes using your initiative. In return, we’ll give you training, as well as the opportunity to work towards a qualification.
What you’ll be doing
This is a varied position, but your tasks will typically be to:
• Manage official correspondence that comes in from the UK, European and international (including foreign national) Intellectual Property Offices – as well as other firms around the world. That includes extracting key information and entering it into our case management system;
• Set up new cases relating to patents, registered designs and trademarks;
• Liaise with attorneys to make sure client information is precise and up to date;
• Look after the office diary reminder system for the attorneys;
• Work on patent formalities, which involves drafting correspondence, and preparing and filing patent forms at relevant authorities;
• Liaising with external providers about our clients’ patent, design and trade mark renewals.
You’ll be based in our Bath office, in the city centre, and that’s where you’ll do most of your training – with the Records/Formalities team. But from time to time, you may need to take trips to the London Abel & Imray office.
We’d ideally like whoever takes on this role to study for and pass the CIPA Introductory Certificate in Patent Administration.
Who we’re looking for
As well as being someone who thrives as part of a team, you’ll be resourceful enough to work independently when needed. Combined with strong problem solving and IT skills, your attention to detail will be first-class.
In terms of academic background, we’re looking for:
• At least five GCSEs (or equivalent) at grades A* to C, including English and maths;
• A minimum of two A levels or the equivalent;
• Perhaps a degree – although it’s not essential.
Finally, we’d like to hear about your administration experience, ideally from working in a similar role.
More about us
Abel & Imray is a firm of patent and trade mark attorneys. Our clients range from established global brands to UK-based start-ups, who need legal advice and support to protect their intellectual property. We help safeguard their ideas and innovations by securing patents, trade marks and design registrations. That sees us work with authorities in the UK, across Europe and around the globe.
Here in our Bath office, we have twenty two fee-earning legal professionals and twenty six specialist support staff, including our six-person Records/Formalities team. We also have offices in London and Cardiff.
Everything we do centres around providing the highest service and professional standards to our clients. And our support team plays a vital role in doing that. We’re also committed to improving equality, diversity and inclusivity within our community, as members of IP Inclusive – a professional intellectual property body.