About the Job
We care about our colleagues - bring your talents to our team.
Qualified or near qualified IP paralegal job. Salary: Competitive, based on qualifications and experience.
We recognise the benefit of diversity of thought that comes from welcoming talented people from backgrounds and training regimes different from ours.
We’re looking for people already in the IP profession to provide a proactive, friendly and efficient support service to our attorneys in order to assist in the provision of the best possible professional advisory service to our clients. You will be directly supporting attorneys in serving the needs of their clients and you’ll be joining a patent and trade mark attorney firm that works to protect some of the world’s leading brands and newest innovations.
Having excellent administration skills goes without saying, and you’ll also need to be the kind of person who enjoys a challenge and likes using your initiative. In return, we’ll give you further training and coaching as required, a varied and rewarding working environment, and if you have not participated in the CIPA IP paralegal course, we will support you in taking up that opportunity.
What you’ll be doing
First and foremost you will be supporting us in giving first-rate service to our clients. Providing solutions, not creating problems. Finding a way to make things work and to meet our clients’ expectations, not simply turning the handle. World-class attorney work has to be supported by superb paralegal support – without your help our attorneys cannot provide the efficient, friendly and timely service our clients demand.
Your tasks will typically include:
• Revision of documents and tailoring of standard documents to individual cases;
• Formalities relating to patent procedures, including preparation of forms and documents for filing (including e-filing) at Intellectual Property Offices;
• Co-ordination of formal procedures relating to the grant of patents;
• Maintenance of electronic files and producing schedules for clients;
• Electronic diary management for attorneys and liaison with the firm’s central records department;
• Preparation of charges/invoices and liaison with accounts department and/or clients on financial matters, including data inputting into clients’ own electronic billing systems;
• Correspondence with clients and Intellectual Property Offices;
• Supporting the introduction of new, and the development of existing, systems and processes arising from technological, legal and commercial changes;
• Developing the skills and knowledge to remain up to date with such internal and external changes so as to improve your own and the firm’s productivity and effectiveness.
Who we’re looking for
A person with a concern for order, accuracy and quality, who is used to working alongside others and who understands the importance of providing exemplary client service. As well as being someone who thrives as part of a team, you’ll be resourceful enough to work independently when needed. Combined with strong IT skills, your attention to detail will be first-class. This role may be part-time (3 or 4 days a week) or full-time, and we would be happy to discuss this with you.
In terms of academic background and experience, we’re ideally looking for someone who has:
• 2-3 years (or more) of experience as an IP administrator or IP paralegal and/or passed or is ready to take CIPA’s Patent Administrators’ / Patent Paralegal Courses.
More about us – and what we offer
Abel & Imray is a European firm of patent attorneys and trade mark attorneys. Our clients range from established global brands to local start-ups, who need legal advice and support to protect their intellectual property. We help safeguard their ideas and innovations by securing patents, trade marks and design registrations. That sees us work with authorities in the UK, across Europe and around the globe.
You’ll be joining our steadily growing firm at an exciting time. Whichever office you are based in, you’ll also get to know the people in our bases in London, Bath, Cardiff, and Delft as our people often work collaboratively across the offices.
Everything we do is centred around providing the highest service and professional standards to our clients and our support team plays a vital role in doing that. We’re also committed to improving equality, diversity and inclusivity within our community, as members of IP Inclusive – a professional intellectual property body.
We are committed to continuing to be a leading training firm of IP professionals, whether attorneys or paralegals. Training, coaching and mentoring are available for all. No matter what stage you are at in your career, there are still opportunities to grow, learn and improve.
Alongside a competitive salary, you’ll have a generous holiday entitlement to play with. And you can also choose from a host of other lifestyle benefits, including private healthcare, a pension and season ticket loans. Home-working and flexible-working are part and parcel of normal working life for many and our firm recognises the possibilities that modern-day technology and remote working has to offer. This, balanced with plenty of face-to-face time in the office makes for a collegiate, inclusive and collaborative atmosphere. We want you to be part of our team and for a lively office to be part of your regular working routine.
How to apply
If the above sounds like you - and you like the sound of us - please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button to send your CV and cover letter.
We very much welcome direct applicants for roles with our firm and may be able to offer a joining bonus if you approach us directly, rather than via an agency.
Please log in below using your existing username and password - once logged-in, you will be presented with a menu of options.
If you have not already registered, then please register now.