Salary: According to qualification and experience
We’re looking for someone to provide a professional, approachable and efficient administrative support to patent attorneys in order to assist in the provision of the best possible professional advisory service to our clients. You will be directly working alongside attorneys in serving the needs of their clients. You’ll be joining a patent and trade mark attorney firm that works to protect some of the world’s leading brands and newest innovations.
Having excellent administration skills goes without saying, but you’ll also need to be the kind of person who enjoys a challenge and likes using your initiative. In return, we’ll give you training, a varied and rewarding working environment, and the opportunity to work towards a qualification.
What you’ll be doing
Your tasks will typically include:
• Preparation and revision of documents and tailoring of standard documents to individual cases;
• Formalities relating to patent procedures, including preparation of forms and documents for filing (including e-filing) at Intellectual Property Offices;
• Co-ordination of formal procedures relating to the grant of patents;
• Maintenance of electronic files and producing schedules for clients;
• Diary management for patent attorneys and liaison with the firm’s central records department;
• Preparation of charges/creating invoices/liaison with accounts department and/or clients, including data inputting into clients’ own electronic billing systems;
• Correspondence (including faxing and e-mailing) with clients and Intellectual Property Offices;
• Supporting the introduction of new, and the development of existing, systems and processes arising from technological, legal and commercial changes. Developing the skills and knowledge to remain up to date with such internal and external changes so as to improve your own and the firm’s productivity and effectiveness.
We expect to fully reopen our offices soon depending on and following any government announcements on that subject. When things are back to normal, you'll be based in our Bath office, in the city centre. After an initial probationary period, a hybrid working pattern including a mix of home working and working in our Bath office would be considered.
Who we’re looking for
A person with a concern for order, accuracy and quality, who is used to working alongside others and who understands the importance of providing exemplary client service.
As well as being someone who thrives as part of a team, you’ll be resourceful enough to work independently when needed. Combined with strong IT skills, your attention to detail will be first-class.
This role may be full-time or part-time (4 days a week), and we would be happy to discuss this with you. It would be helpful if you could indicate the number of days a week you are looking for, when applying.
In terms of academic background and experience, we’re looking for:
• Five GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including English and Maths.
• Further qualifications relevant to administrative work would also be advantageous.
You will be expected to obtain the CIPA Introductory Certificate in Patent Administration and the firm will provide training and support you in seeking that qualification in 2022/2023.
More about us
Abel + Imray is a firm of patent and trade mark attorneys. Our clients range from established global brands to UK-based start-ups, who need legal advice and support to protect their intellectual property. We help safeguard their ideas and innovations by securing patents, trade marks and design registrations. That sees us work with authorities in the UK, across Europe and around the globe.
Here in our Bath office, we have 60 staff split between fee-earning legal professionals and specialist support staff. You will be joining a team including 4 existing IP administrators supporting attorneys in the Chem/Bio team (no technical knowledge of these subjects is required). Our Bath office is a friendly and vibrant working environment housed in modern offices. We also have offices in London and Cardiff.
Everything we do is centred around providing the highest service and professional standards to our clients and our support team plays a vital role in doing that. We’re also committed to improving equality, diversity and inclusivity within our community, as members of IP Inclusive – a professional intellectual property body.